Saturday, July 9, 2016

Sparrow Nest, Part 4

The more I research these white-throated sparrows, the more exciting watching this whole process is! There are two color variations in this type of bird: black-white head stripes, and tan stripes. Male and female can come in either color variety yet they often choose a mate of opposite color of their own. There are a few behavioral differences between the two colors as well, which is detailed at the National Audubon Society's website. This is totally fascinating to me!

I've seen both the white and tan bird at our feeder, and I'm still not sure which is the female. The mama sits on the nest but it's too shady in the bush for me to tell what her color markings are. That poor mama has seen me peek on her nest so many times in the last few days she doesn't even bother flitting off to hide anymore. (I feel a little guilty about this. Hopefully I don't compromise anything!)

I found another egg this morning, bringing the count to four.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment